Note Regarding Order of Entries

The posts in the pages that follow are in this order:

May 2012: CAS Graduation—Kyle Harty Strang Spirit of CAS Award
May 2011: CAS Graduation—Kyle's loyal and loving CAS-mates move up.
March 2011: Two incredible articles that appeared in local newspapers
November: Lyrics of a beautiful song written for Kyle by Sarah Crews
July: Things shared on and around the 17th anniversary of Kyle's birth
June: Snippets of Facebook interchanges, end of school year pieces, and other things written to Kyle
May: CAS Memorial and misc. contributions received in May (in the order the comments were made)
April: Kyle's funeral and misc. contributions received in April (in the order the comments were made)
March 2010: Before Kyle's funeral and information about where to make donations in Kyle's memory

Because postings do not appear in the order they were posted, you will have to check the listing in the Blog Archive below to see whether there are posts you have not read, and then click on those posts.

If you made comments at one of the memorial events and/or if you have words about Kyle that you would like to post, send to: jbarber@berkeley.edu

Followers

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Kyle's Dad's Remarks at the CAS Memorial


On behalf of all of Kyle’s many families, I want to express my deepest thanks to all of you: to the teachers, not just in CAS but at Oxford Elementary and King Middle School, who have created such an extraordinary environment within which Kyle and PJ and all these children have become the best of what adulthood has to offer; and to the students and former students, all of Kyle’s friends, really the finest young people I have ever known. I especially want to thank Leib and Austin for the incredible and heartfelt work they put into the video. Leib has been among Kyle’s very closest friends since they were three years old. Austin spent many summer days naked in our backyard with Kyle as a toddler. I also want to thank and acknowledge Kyle’s friends who don’t go to Berkeley High, who have had a lonelier time processing your grief and finding support, but nonetheless have found enough strength inside you to be a source of strength for the rest of us.

Kyle played baseball up until last year. He especially loved playing Freshman year. Coach Malik did this great thing, and I’m sure the other coaches do it, also, but I was so struck by it over the course of that Freshman season. Malik worked hard to catch players doing something right. He’d catch them doing little things that usually go unnoticed like knocking down a pitch in the dirt even when there was no one on base. When he caught someone doing one of these little things, he’d yell out from the dugout, “I see you. I see you.” So, I guess what I want to say now is, for all the huge and for all the smallest ways that each of you have extended your love and support of Kyle to our family and to each other, I want you to know I have noticed them all. They have meant everything to us. Thanks and “I see you.”

Kyle would be so honored by the event you put on tonight. He would be honored because tonight is as much a tribute to you all and the community that you have created together as it is a tribute to him. He would be so proud of you all.

Spelled out with hand signals:
CAS

1 comment:

  1. Craig, my heart goes out to you and Persis--and, of course, to Charlene. I only just found out this morning. I've been living in Sonoma County. As I just wrote to Leib, I don't think Julian knows. Condolences are a pale thing in the face of such grief. I will look for photos of Kyle to send to you. In the meantime, however inadequately, I'm sending love to all of you.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete