Note Regarding Order of Entries

The posts in the pages that follow are in this order:

May 2012: CAS Graduation—Kyle Harty Strang Spirit of CAS Award
May 2011: CAS Graduation—Kyle's loyal and loving CAS-mates move up.
March 2011: Two incredible articles that appeared in local newspapers
November: Lyrics of a beautiful song written for Kyle by Sarah Crews
July: Things shared on and around the 17th anniversary of Kyle's birth
June: Snippets of Facebook interchanges, end of school year pieces, and other things written to Kyle
May: CAS Memorial and misc. contributions received in May (in the order the comments were made)
April: Kyle's funeral and misc. contributions received in April (in the order the comments were made)
March 2010: Before Kyle's funeral and information about where to make donations in Kyle's memory

Because postings do not appear in the order they were posted, you will have to check the listing in the Blog Archive below to see whether there are posts you have not read, and then click on those posts.

If you made comments at one of the memorial events and/or if you have words about Kyle that you would like to post, send to: jbarber@berkeley.edu

Followers

Monday, May 24, 2010

From Ana Lopez in the Dominican Republic


I am a friend of Persis from the Dominican Republic, where I returned in 1998 after studying and living in California for 13 years. She is very dear to me and so is her family. For me, Kyle was Persis’ child, too. I have talked to her a few times since Kyle’s departure. I am so deeply sad for Kyle’s very early departure, for Persis’ pain, and of course for Craig and Kyle’s mother. I can only feel a very profound sadness for Niko, even though he is a child, children also feel pain. Thank you for putting together Kyle’s BLOG. People like me, from a distance, can confirm what a strong, precious and beautiful young man he was. Persis had told me that so many times.

Please, could you post this paragraph on Kyle’s BLOG? I just want to reach out for his family, young and not so young friends, because even when I did not meet him, I got to know him. Thank you very much. Feel free to write a paragraph about me if you want and, please, if you find a grammatical error, go ahead and fix it for me. Thank you so much for being a messenger, Jacqueline.

“I was going to attend Craig and Persis' wedding, occasion when I was going to have the opportunity to meet Kyle. It did not happen because of 9/11. I felt sad to miss my best friend wedding, but Persis send me some pictures (real hard copy pictures, through regular mail which I keep). I still smile when I see a picture of Kyle reciting a poem at the wedding, which he had composed for the occasion; while Persis is looking at him with so much pride, care, love and joy. Kyle looked so adorable on his white tuxedo, so proud to be there and being part of this celebration. Persis talked to me about Kyle as a loving and concerned mother with her child becoming a young man and going through changes. She is my dearest friend for 25 years, and throughout her I got a sense of the sad loss and the beautiful life we all miss today. When young people and children departure I prefer to think that angels were needed in heaven. May Kyle rest in peace, and may his love and joy for life be with us forever”.
--
Craig, I learned to love your child through Persis, whose pain did not surprise me given the incredible beautiful human being/woman she is. I set up an altar for Kyle during those days, with the pomegranates’ picture (I believe is the Christmas 2008) where there are two images of Kyle and you; and lighted a candle for a few days. I did feel his presence in my life during the mourning. Craig, an angel was needed in heaven.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYYYYYYYYYYYLE! I WILL LOOK FOR YOU SMILE IN MY CARIBBEAN SKY TONIGHT!

Much love,

Ana Antonia

No comments:

Post a Comment