Note Regarding Order of Entries

The posts in the pages that follow are in this order:

May 2012: CAS Graduation—Kyle Harty Strang Spirit of CAS Award
May 2011: CAS Graduation—Kyle's loyal and loving CAS-mates move up.
March 2011: Two incredible articles that appeared in local newspapers
November: Lyrics of a beautiful song written for Kyle by Sarah Crews
July: Things shared on and around the 17th anniversary of Kyle's birth
June: Snippets of Facebook interchanges, end of school year pieces, and other things written to Kyle
May: CAS Memorial and misc. contributions received in May (in the order the comments were made)
April: Kyle's funeral and misc. contributions received in April (in the order the comments were made)
March 2010: Before Kyle's funeral and information about where to make donations in Kyle's memory

Because postings do not appear in the order they were posted, you will have to check the listing in the Blog Archive below to see whether there are posts you have not read, and then click on those posts.

If you made comments at one of the memorial events and/or if you have words about Kyle that you would like to post, send to: jbarber@berkeley.edu

Followers

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Message to Kyle from Ms. Martinez at the CAS Memorial

Kyle, when I think of you I see, of course, your beautiful eyes and your open, mischievous smile.  During these last horrid weeks, you have been foremost in my mind, your smiling face floating around my brain.  It seems that people have been coming out of the woodwork --so many people, each who feel very close to you and consider you a dear friend; each and every one of them saying how special you are to them.  Yes, ARE because I still refuse to speak in the past tense. 

I have stopped asking why, why this happened, why now and why to you, why to you and your best friend together.  Instead, teacher that I am, I try to find the lesson in the tragedy, the lesson in the grief.  I can’t really find said lesson, except for maybe how I keep feeling continuously, repeatedly surprised at the almost daily occurrence of yet another new person expressing grief, expressing feelings of separation, expressing the way in which you, Kyle, made them feel appreciated, heard, understood, and yes, LOVED.  I think “how extraordinary!”  How amazing that you have so many, such deep connections, to SO many folks from so many walks of life. 

If there is a lesson, it’s that what I want to think of when my mind questions the unknowable in spite of myself, what I want to always remember is the image of you leaving my room for that last time, saying, “Bye Ms. Martinez –you have a good day,” and flashing that smile that made me feel like, for that moment, it was ONLY for me.  I will forever treasure that moment, knowing that it is what makes you so special in all our hearts.

Rest in peace.

I. Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment